Monday, December 12, 2011

Zion, the Lodges, and Snow!!

So I wasn't quite sure what to do with the entire weekend off with absolutely no work to do. The beautiful thing about Kanab is that it is surrounded by all sorts of natural beauty. It's truly refreshing. After surveying my options I decided to spend a day hiking in Zion even though I had already been there once. It is truly breathtaking and it holds many fond memories :) Shout out SUS '11!! So I spent the day hiking around and really taking in everything Zion has to offer. I found it impossible not to just stare in amazement!!! After heading back to Kanab I decided to get some groceries and make some dinner. If I make the move here I think cooking will be a new hobby. Something almost therapeutic about coming home, putting on some sweats and making a meal. I still cannot get over how nice everyone is here!!! Everyone waves and says good morning. The door is held for you all the time. People genuinely want to know you.

Today was my first working day of week two and I am working in Dog Town this week. Last Week I was mostly in Dog Town Heights. Anyways, today and then again tomorrow I am working in Angel Lodges. Angel Lodges are lodges 5-12 and between all of them there are about 40-50 dogs. At least 50% of the dogs back here are red collar dogs. The other 50 % is evenly divided between purple and green collar dogs. So today I worked with Terry, who is a wonderful lady, and she showed me the ins and outs of the lodges. I can tell you after one day the lodges are much more labor intensive than any of the other areas I have worked in so far. I also smelt poop for the first time today since I arrived. Oddly refreshing, as it reminded me of the shelter and all of the amazing dogs waiting for me in Michigan. Today I met lots of new dogs. One of my favorites is definitely Lucus. Lucus is a former Vick dog and boy is he a lover. I love pit bulls and was deeply saddened and enraged when the MIchael Vick case came about. But I am very happy that dogs like Lucus have a chance at a healthy happy life hear at best friends. Although Lucus' scars on his face tell the story of his past, the hope in his eyes and the gentle wagging of his tail tell the story of his future. LOVE THAT DOG.

Meeting Lucus was the highlight of my day for sure but I also got another pleasant surprise! It snowed here today!! Now many of you know that snow is not exactly my favorite thing in the world however the white snow falling on the red cliffs was unlike anything I had ever seen before so I smiled and welcomed it. I cannot wait to go to work again tomorrow but more importantly I cannot wait to share everything I am learning with all of you again very soon!!!

Peace & Love,

Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment