Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Can't Shake the Shelter

Since moving to Utah and starting here at Best friends I have learned so much. I've learned about myself, I've learned about the dogs, I've learned about all the things that are possible with a little bit of hard work and a lot of determination. In October I had the privilege of attending the NO More Homeless Pets Conference in Las Vegas. Seeing all of the people from rescue groups and shelters across the country was so encouraging. Being surrounded by all of these people and hearing about their struggles and triumphs on the local level reawakened that piece of my heart that always has, and always will belong to the shelter. It has also helped me become more aware of exactly where my passion for homeless animals lies. For some it's releasing a dog from a life on the end of a chain, http://www.fencesforfido.org/ For others it's tackling the community cat issue, http://www.indyferal.org/ and for so many others it's a specific breed that has captured their hearts, http://www.greatlakesbcrescue.org/. What I have come to realize over the past 9 months is that for me it is the face of each and every dog sitting in a shelter across the country. It's the dogs that will be euthanized for space, for health conditions, and for behavioral problems that have a solution given time and a little bit of training. No matter how hard I try I cannot seem to shake the shelter and I'm not sure I want to. The reality is always with me driving me forward. Pushing me to work harder and learn more and more. To live a life of impact. This past month I had the opportunity to visit out L.A. center fir a week. At first I was nervous about going since I hadn't set foot in a shelter in 10 months. However as soon as we arrived I felt this tinge of excitement. upon entering the facility I was hit by the familiar yet forgotten smell of litter boxes and dirty kennels. It reminded me of the first time I walked into a shelter. So many memories. After a brief tour I walked through the kennel area and looked at all the dogs. As always I tend to gravitate toward the dogs that are spooky baring or running up and down their kennel walls. Spending the week in the shelter setting was surprisingly refreshing! At the end of the week we went to South Central L.A. Shelter to pull dogs. Walking through the kennel at least 80% of the population was some sort of bully breed mix. I was so happy for the dogs that we pulled but I couldn't help wondering if a few of the others that had caught my eye would make it out alive. L.A. was a welcomed reminder that there is still a lot of work to do and I for one do not take that lightly. Some say ignorance is bliss but I believe knowledge is power and I choose to share that knowledge with others. So as I said before, I can't seem to shake the shelter and I'm not sure that I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment