Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Trinity

It's hard to believe a little over eight months ago I met the dog that would change my life, challenge my patience and capture my soul. The first time I met Trinity was on a Saturday. One of the girls had called because they could not get her inside. As soon as I stepped into the dog yard I saw what can only be described as a big black dog shaking in a corner terrified. Turns out Trinity's previous owners surrendered her to the shelter because they did not want to purchase a ten dollar dog lisence. In addition when she was a puppy they decided they didn't want to deal with her so they stuck her on a chain in their yard. Out of sight out of mind. At some point during her stay at the end of the 6 foot chain Trinity managed to injure her left eye. naturally her owners couldn't be bothered with taking her to the vet so she lost sight in the eye. Anyways back to the yard. After talking to her for a few minutes she allowed me to put a leash on and take her back inside. On my way home that day I knew I was in trouble. I have always been a sucker for the underdog and I am always up for a challenge. Over the next two months I fell in love with this big goofy girl. I encouraged her to meet new people and tried to work through the stranger danger issues. However a big black dog that is blind in one eye and has some issues is not high on anyone's adoption list. Then I found out I would be moving to Utah to follow my heart and work with an organization dedicated to the underdogs. I was full of mixed emotions. On one hand I had reached my goal and landed the job I always wanted. On the other hand I knew trinitys odds of survival dwindled without me. So for the next couple weeks I wrestled with the reality before deciding that I could not live without this dog. So on February 15 I adopted trinity. She had adopted me long before that day though. Since bringing trinity home we have packed up our lives and moved 3,000 miles away. We have done basic obedience training as well as some off leash work. We have consulted with a trainer and put together a training plan to help us work through her stranger danger. We have gone through the removal of her blind eye. But most importantly we have lived life together. I am happy to say that trinity meets new people all the time now. She is still cautious around men but she hardly ever spooky barks anymore. She finally knows sit! She gets along great with other dogs, something we did not think possible at the shelter. She has learned how to initiate play with her canine friends. She also loves cats and car rides. She is completely housebroken. She has the most adorable wink I have ever seen. She is an 80 pound lap dog :-) she likes to hike but hates to run. She loves food puzzles and will carry her kong around long after the peanut butter is gone. And she makes more and more progress everyday. Last week she played with a ball for the first time! She is no longer afraid of her crate an just this past weekend she went camping for the first time. And although she didn't love the water I know that with time she can overcome that fear also. Trinity fills my life with so much love and laughter but her story and her progress also give me immense hope. Time, patience, and positive energy heals. Trinity is proof of that. Trinity gives me hope for all the other underdogs sitting in shelters. All it takes is one Dedicated staff member or volunteer. You make a difference. You change their lives. "to the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world" mya angelou I know that is true for trinity. Each day I love her more. Each day she makes me better. I may have literally saved her first but she saves me daily. She has my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment