Tuesday, May 29, 2012

9,000

The past couple weeks I have found myself in a state of evaluation and reflection. I still cannot believe that I work for an organization that does so much for animals. The impact that is being made everyday is so real and powerful. However I am under no illusions that millions of others will not make it through the shelter system. Their lives will be cut short as man tries to play God and gets ride of the ones that don't fit in a cookie cutter mold. 9,000 animals are euthanized per day. 9,000. This number horrifies me. The faces of this number keep me up at night. I go back and forth. Back and forth. Although I understand the shelter mindset and why certain decisions are made the longer that I stay here the more I realize that just because I understand it doesn't mean I am any more ok with it. This past week we had a dog fight in my area and as I race up the hill to my building and into the run I was shocked at what I saw. My first thought was of a lion with it's prey. One dog literally dragging another around by it's neck, clearly the proud victor. After separating the dogs and assessing the damage I needed a minute to process what had just happened. The conclusion that I came to is that no matter how much we love these animals at the end of the day they are still animals. They act on predator instinct and it's this same instinct that seals so many fates in local shelters around this country. I also found myself so very grateful that both of these dogs are safe, grateful that instead of being euthanized for their issues we will continue to work through them. I think much too often we reject those that are different. Those that require work and patience. For example I have been working with a dog in my area since the end of February. She was an owner release to a shelter and because of human cruelty she was completely shut down. Afraid to lift her head, make eye contact or even wag her tail. Starlight comes from an abusive past and although I have been working with her everyday for three months and she has made significant progress she still has a long path ahead of her. Our actions have such a powerful impact both negative and positive. For dogs like Starlight and Brady if people had spent the time that they were abusing, loving on these dogs maybe their futures would have been brighter sooner. I find myself wishing that shelters across the country would devote more time to the animals and less time focusing on how imperfect they are or how inconvenient they are. The Vick pits are the perfect example of the impact that time and compassion can have on these dogs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZDWRoNPDdg That's my rant for now until next time, Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment